Saturday, November 12, 2005

Coming and Going

What Happened Last Week

Drama

Did anyone else watch The West Wing live debate? It was kind of awesome, non? Although I think that Alda is the better actor and pulled off his character better than Jimmy Smits, I would in fact give the debate win to Smits’ Santos. All they gave Vinick to say was “free market good, big government bad.” Pfft.

Susan broke down in the middle of Wisteria Lane in her mother’s wedding dress while Mike just drove away. I cringed. I really did. It was kind of horrifying to watch. Even more horrifying? Bree and George. (shudder) Also on Desperate Housewives, Page Kennedy (the actor who plays the creepy dude locked in the basement,) was dismissed this week for “improper conduct.” The role has been recast – how very soap opera of them.

Alex smooched Izzy on Grey’s Anatomy. I’m rooting for these two crazy kids.

On Lost Shannon bit the dust, but not before trying to drum up some serious character sympathy. She’s Cinder-shannon. Or Shannon-ella, if you prefer. In the flashback, Boone suffered from the worst haircut ever. Worse than Locke’s comb-over. Even worse than Jack’s headband. And does anyone know what Walt said to Shannon in the tent? I was too busy screaming.

When Veronica Mars cuddled up to Logan, thinking he was Duncan I stood up and squealed. I don’t think they’ll get back together (anytime soon,) but the chemistry between Kristen Bell and Jason Dohring is great whether they are together or not. This week’s episode advanced every plotline just one notch forward, with the exception of one missing Wallace Fennel. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the “witness” to Felix’s murder showed his face at the exact moment that Aaron Echolls was being transferred to a jail cell in Neptune. It was such a heartwarming father-son moment. Best show on television.

I… don’t care about ER. At all. Stupid Abby. Stupid Kovac.

Reality

The Amazing Race has been such a snoozefest this season. Producers know that, right? They don’t actually want to subject us to another family season where nobody goes anywhere, do they? The only team left worth half-rooting for is the Linz family, and they have always struck me as a genetic-fraternity-disaster. How am I supposed to root for a team that spends their camera time making fart jokes?

Did you see the look on Nicole’s face when Tyra told her she had to pack her bags to go to Paris? Here’s what it said “That is the meanest thing anybody has ever done to me.” Hee. My pick to win America’s Next Top Model is still Kim.

In Guatemala, Jamie, who may or may not be suffering from paranoid delusions, opted for public self-punishment and excessive groveling for jury votes. I’m not sure either tactic worked for him. And question for the floor – do the trio of Lydia, Cindy and Rafe not see that by sticking with the alliance of six they are contenting themselves with finishing fourth, fifth and sixth? What’s wrong with them?

Trump fired Marshawn. And though she totally deserved it for being all, you know, Toral, about not presenting – I’m still kind of miffed about the whole thing. She’d seemed so talented before. I really didn’t expect her to pull a duck and cover! Oh, and Brian the Jockey was also fired.

And I’m still kind of in love with Ryan from Martha’s Apprentice. I understand if you’re not watching because it really isn’t all that compelling a show, Martha’s awesome prison references aside. But Ryan is adorable.

Comedy

Arrested Development returned – briefly. And then the idiots at Fox reduced its season order down to thirteen episodes and shelved it for all of November sweeps. AAAARRRRGH! Not only that, but they’ve shelved Kitchen Confidential as well. I think it’s strongly-worded-letter-time. I… don’t understand. If you want good quality shows to perform well you have to promote them to their intended market. Is this a difficult concept for Fox? How is it that there is someone at Fox who clearly has an eye for picking up quality shows, and yet there is no one at Fox who will stand behind these shows and develop them? Is it an internal communication breakdown? How does Stacked get a full season order while Kitchen Confidential (and the lovely Bradley Cooper, who will always be Will Tippen to me,) gets three measly episodes before being forgotten? How many re-runs of Prison Break will we be forced to endure? The show isn’t that good! Why is it plastered all over my subway station and being promo’d every other commercial? WHY? Fox has said that Arrested Development and Kitchen Confidential will return in December. I hate them and don’t trust them, but I will be in front of my television should two of my favourite comedies return in December. Will you?

What Happens Next

On Alias we’ll see some familiar faces return – I already told you that Mia Maestro will be back for a bit as Nadia, and the beloved Michael Vartan is scheduled to return as Vaughn (though if as dead-Vaughn or alive-Vaughn, it has yet to be confirmed.) But I’ve also heard now that David Anders will be back to bug newbie Rachel as Sark! That’s right, I said Sark. SARK! Let’s see if he can instill some convincing toughness in the new recruit. That would be awesome.

On Grey’s Anatomy I’ve heard someone’s going to be gay. I have no idea who. Just not George. Please not Geroge. Please not George. Kate Walsh (Mrs. Dr. McDreamy) has been added to the cast as a series regular now.

On The O.C., absent sister Kaitlin returns from boarding school. I’m assuming the expense was too much for the broken and abandoned Julie Cooper-Nicholl. Kaitlin is now fourteen and will be, I’m told, just like a mini-Julie-Cooper-Nicholl. Of which, in my opinion, you can never have too many. Also, Taylor Townsend will totally heart Seth Cohen forever. And really, who wouldn’t?

On Lost we get to see how the tail-end have lived on Nonsense Island. That should be fun. Or terrifying and nonsensical. Whatever. And we’ll finally get to see Kate’s original crime, you know, before she vehicular-manslaughtered her ex-boyfriend and rolled over a bank for a toy plane.

Dr. Gallant comes back to ER but I’m not sure for how long. Seriously Sharif Atkins, the ship is sinking. Save yourself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home